Tuesday, October 7, 2008

'Safer' test developed for Down's



Noah 1 day old

The following news article was posted on the BBC News website yesterday regarding a new safer test for down syndrome during pregnancy. News article.

Personally I think if this test is introduced (which the BBC report they will be introduced in the next few years) lots more people will terminate their pregnancies due to down syndrome. When we found out about the risk, we had a 1/61 chance of Noah having down syndrome we decided not to have an amnio to confirm whether he did or did not have down syndrome, for us it would not and has not made any difference. If it had been confirmed whilst I was pregnant with Noah the he definitely had down syndrome I don't think I would have enjoyed the pregnancy at all worrying about how we would cope thinking worst case scenarios. Instead when I was handed this little bundle of joy and I knew that he had down syndrome by just looking at him it didn't seem to matter. I could see that this little baby had all his fingers and toes he was a healthy little chap and it didn't matter.

Some people do not know how to handle the unknown, they are scared and therefore this is why I think there will be more terminations. If only they could spend a day with Noah or any child with down syndrome they would find out that yes they may be hard work but the amount of joy that you get back from the child is incredible.



I think that some of the medical professionals should also by re-educated to down syndrome. During are stay in hospital after Noah was born we had to go and see the baby doctor, you know when they do all the checks to make sure that the baby is doing everything they should be doing. Well I took Noah into this room with the doctor and after she had examined him she said you are aware of the risk you had of 1/61 chance of the baby having down syndrome "well I am sorry to tell you he does have down syndrome". I was shocked at the way she had said this and told her not to be sorry we new the risk and it didn't make a difference one way or the other he was our baby and I was just happy he had arrived safely and he was healthy. Why are some people in the medical profession so negative. I have heard story's of mothers been told to leave their child at the hospital because the child wont be able to do anything. How awful to be told this absolute nonsense. On a positive note not all medical professionals are like this (thank goodness) and we have met a lot of understanding and genuine medical professionals.


No comments: