Thursday, October 9, 2008

Local Heroes Awards, Birmingham Mail and the Pallasades




Today was the Local Heroes Awards Ceremony at the Botanical Gardens we had a lovely day and I felt honoured to have been awarded a Local Hero. We arrived at the Botanical Gardens just before 12.00pm where we were greeted with nibbles and drinks. Our host was Dianne from the Birmingham Mail who wrote the news paper article last year Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
then we were in the paper again a few weeks ago here

Before we went into the room we were introduced to a number of people, firstly Carl Chinn MBE Birmingham Historian, broadcaster, newspaper columnist and author.
The second person we were introduced to was Jason Donavon, he asked what my story was and I told him about Noah's blog. Noah took to him, Jason had a bread stick in his hand and Noah pointed at it and went to eat it so Jason had to give it up and give it to him.

Everyone was asked to go into the room apart from the Local Heroes and their nominators/hosts.
We were introduced by Carl Chinn and then we walked in to the room to the table. Carl Chinn introduced a number of other celebrities along with Jason Donovan. After this dinner was served.


The food was lovely and we all enjoyed it. Picture of the pudding is below.


After the meal the awards started. There were 12 of us all together, there were a lot of remarkable stories and they were definitely hero's. 1 little boy saved his father's life, a couple caring for the elderly in their community, people raising money for charity all of these hero's will be in the Birmingham Mail tomorrow.


I was the last Local Hero to be called and I took Noah up on stage with me, although it had been a long day for him and he was still not 100% he was very good. Carl asked a few questions about why I had set the blog up, about the Solihull Down Syndrome Group and the support I get from my family. I would just like to mention that I have an incredible partner and family who are extremely supportive and are always on hand to help out with Noah and now Finley, so I would like to thank them because without them I wouldn't have been awarded Local Hero.

I was awarded a copy of the news paper article framed, along with a plaque my name on it and a cheque for £100.00.



There is going to be a big write up in the Birmingham Mail tomorrow. I am very grateful to the Birmingham Mail and the Pallasades for a lovely day along with our great host Dianne, Pete and Mum also really enjoyed it and the two little ones were really good. Noah didn't throw any food thank goodness and Finley slept for the whole 4 hours the little star.



Also on our table were two people from Gough Allen Stanley, Michelle and Sunny they work with Drayton Mannor. I think their company is looking into supporting the event or doing something with the Birmingham Mail next year. They were really lovely and have said they will send some tickets for us to take Noah to see Thomas at Drayton Manor where he can ride on Thomas and meet the fat controller. Noah will really love riding on Thomas, we have not taken him to Drayton Manor before but I think he is now getting to the age when he will really enjoy it and he'll love going on all of the rides. So thank you Michelle and Sunny we are really grateful and thank you from Noah.

Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on some more of the pictures from today and will post them as and when I get them. It's been a very long day and I need to get some sleep before Noah decides to wake and Finley wants feeding.


No comments: