Thursday, September 25, 2008

Bone Conduction Hearing Aids for children with down syndrome





On Tuesday Noah had his appointment at 10.30 at the Children's Hospital for his Hearing Aid, it was a nightmare trip. I managed to park outside the hospital , on the road. I do have a double buggy but there was no way I would have been able to lift that out of the car at the moment as it weighs a ton, so I decided that I would take Finley in the pushchair and put the reigns on Noah. We got into the hospital alright but waited 45 minutes to be seen, trying to keep Noah entertained for that period of time sitting on my lap was extremely challenging. When Noah's name was finally called Finley woke up and started crying as he was hungry and wanted his milk. Finley cried throughout the whole of Noah's hearing aid fitting. At the end of the fitting I asked whether there was a room free to feed Finley, I knew that trying to keep Noah still whilst feeding Finley would prove difficult and in a small room where he could not escape he was much safer. Whilst I was feeding Finley Noah would not stay still and made a be-line for the door, he banged his head on the sink next to the door, so as one child stopped crying the other started. By the time I came out of the hospital I was red faced and very stressedeeekkkk I said I would never take them anywhere again. :-)


Noah wearing his hearing aid on the trendy band


However it was all worth it to see Noah's face once I put the hearing aid on him at the dinner table. He could hear the television in the living room and was dancing in his chair. I could tell there was a change straight away, he was unsure of the different noises but he could hear them. I was really shocked as he kept the hearing aid on for over an hour before he started messing with it and taking it off. He had it on when Pete called his name from upstairs and he immediately looked towards the stairs.Im really hoping that now with the help of the Hearing aid it will help his speech develop. (thats if he continues to keep it on) We have a follow-up appointment in about 6 - 8 weeks to see how he is getting on.



We have continued to attempt putting the hearing aid on Noah, some times he doesn't mind having it on and some times he wips it off straight away. Pre-school have also been persevering with it and putting it on him at certain times. On Wednesday they put it on and apparently he decided he didn't need it so did no more than put it in the bin. The little monkey.


No comments: